What We Offer
"It's the Ability not the disability"
~ Dana Bowman
Horses For Heroes – NM Inc. a Non-Profit 501 (c) (3)
About Horses For Heroes NM, Inc., Cowboy Up! and what we offer:
Horses For Heroes NM, Inc. is for veterans who are working toward Post Traumatic Growth, as well for active military who wish to be proactive in their own well-being. Like the military, we call it “Preventative Maintenance”!
Our program helps in building Resilience at the cognitive, emotional, social, physical, and spiritual, levels. We help to build on ones existing strengths, because we believe in one’s self-efficacy, and that is what we work toward!
“Self-efficacy refers to an individual's belief in his or her capacity to execute behaviors necessary to produce specific performance attainments (Bandura, 1977, 1986, 1997). Self-efficacy reflects confidence in the ability to exert control over one's own motivation, behavior, and social environment. These cognitive self-evaluations influence all manner of human experience, including the goals for which people strive, the amount of energy expended toward goal achievement, and likelihood of attaining particular levels of behavioral performance.”
~American Psychological Association
OUR OFFERINGS INCLUDE:
Cowboy Up! Skill-set Restructuring™
(Sunday in - Sunday out)
• Horsemanship is Leadership - which starts with Relationship.
• We assist post 9/11 veterans and active military, Guard and Reserves, through the way of the horse to support their journey through transition and healing by integrating mind, body and spirit.
Education on "The Other Side of PTSD"
• Education for veteran, family, and community.
• Post Traumatic Spiritual Dissonance™ (Post Traumatic Spiritual Dissonance is a disconnect or conflict resulting from what one believes to be right and wrong concurrently. ~Spiritual is defined as relating to or affecting the human spirit).
• For some the first casualty of war is a wound to the spirit.
For others it may be active combat survivor skills, which worked well down range, but now being home aren't serving you well. Perhaps something during your military experience has you feeling disconnected, dishonored or depleted, or possibly it may be that you struggle going from service member to civilian. We get it, and can work with you on dealing with it.
Wisdom Way For Warriors Resilience Coaching and Education
(in person 3 - 7 days, as well as online via Zoom)
• Wisdom Way EGCM Coaching Session
• What PTS/D is, and more importantly, what PTSD/D is not.
• Becoming one’s own Health Advocate.
• Neuroscience (understanding the brain’s role with regard to the label PTS/D and stress.
•Understanding personal triggers, how stress manifests in the body, and how to mitigate stress through well-being skills.
(Sunday in - Sunday out)
• Aimed at the under-served portion of veterans who quietly transitioned from the battlefield to the workforce or to college and trade schools, this empowering programs strength lies in combining our transcendent work with horses with a pragmatic focus on individual creativity and igniting the veteran’s creative processes. Creative cognants with top area teachers and subject matter expert instructors will include, cooking, photography, journaling, war writing, mixed media art, videography and making movies to name a few.
• Preventative Maintenance for Couples ~ Front-loading your marriage for Resilience. If your path together is rocky we will help get you back on track and if it is solid we will help you make it even better.
Veteran Family Support ("Resilient Families")
• For those who have participated in at least one training evolution; veteran and active military families are welcomed at no cost, for either a directed or self-guided personal family retreat, or just a long weekend. We stock our Cowboy Bunkhouse with locally sourced, nutritious groceries and the family can hit the “reset button” and re-connect in a safe and serene ranch environment, using the entire facility exclusively.
Pre-Deployment Resiliency Training
• For active military, Guard and Reserves, operating in an ambiguous environment can be challenging. This training is designed to build resiliency skills in order to understand and process the stress of deployment in order to maintain well-being and whole health: body mind, and spirit.
Train the Trainers 4-Day Training
• For Equine Gestalt Coaching Method Practitioners (Graduates of Melisa Pearce’s EGCM®) dedicated to learning how to work with veterans and further their education in: "Working with PTSD and Trauma Among Veterans and Military Service Members". This is a four-day CEU level course.
Train the Trainers ~ Israel!
•On invitation we traveled to the Holy Land to share first hand with IDF (Israeli Defense Force) experts about our programs, to learn from their experiences and to solidify training locations that would be suitable to run a version of our Cowboy UP! program for IDF Reservists and veterans. Training their trainers will begin here at the ranch, conducted by our veterans and then assisting them in Israel as they launch their program. *Currently on Hold due to Covid*
Healing the Healers
• This full day retreat program was inspired by our work with the New Mexico National Guard Chaplains and the Christus St. Vincent's Hospital Chaplains and works well with all Faith traditions. Chaplains, clergy and lay ministers, who are currently working with or realize the need and want to enhance their work with Veterans or Active Military will benefit by this retreat.
It can also be structured to be an immersive day of contemplation and a day to reset and refresh for spiritual caregivers.
• Participants become part of our family and are welcome to communicate at any time through life’s ups and downs. We may not be able to go through it for you, but we will surely do it with you.
HORSES FOR HEROES - NEW MEXICO, INC.™